Careers in Software Testing
Last week, I was invited by a group of “soon to be graduated” students of BS in Computer Sciences at FAST Islamabad campus. One of their subjects require them to host a talk by someone from Industry to complete the course. From the list of topics, I chose to speak about “Careers in Software Testing”.
Since on one of my previous tours, I had talked about taking a career in Software Testing, this time I focused more on what happens if you take that route. The main points that were laid down to the audience were:
- Software Testing belongs to the Software Development as a whole. So careers in testing are similar to careers in Software Development.
- The first few years of this career is establishing yourself as a technical resource.
- Once you gain that position, you have two options. One is to become a people’s manager and start rising on the management ladders. The other is to remain a technical hub of knowledge and become the person who defines the technical path of the company.
- The technical paths in Software Testing are various. The latest hot ones are Performance testers, Security or Penetration Testers and Automation Engineers.
Picture taken from Haibye.com.
- If the above looks too complicated or too much effort, try starting your own business and you’ll be CEO on the first day.
- Presented Microsoft as a case study which offers jobs in Testing.
- Covered how testing in Pakistan is growing and growing and growing.
The slides are shared here if you want to take a closer look into the above contents.
Did I miss something? What else we should tell graduating students about career paths in Software Testing?